Powered by Max Banner Ads 

 Powered by Max Banner Ads 
Safety tips: Martin issues suggestions for a fire-safe holiday | Preston Citizen

Safety tips: Martin issues suggestions for a fire-safe holiday

December 15, 2012


Assistant editor

Christmas is less than two weeks away and decorating homes and businesses is a long-standing tradition around the holiday season. Unfortunately, these same decorations may increase chances of fire.

Franklin County Fire District Fire Marshal Scott Martin said following a few simple fire safety tips can keep electric lights, candles and Christmas trees from creating a tragedy. He issued the following suggestions:

• Don’t put a “live” Christmas tree up too early or leave it up for longer than four weeks. Make sure a fresh cut is made at the base of the tree before placing in a stand that has plenty of water. Keep checking the stand every day and add water as needed.

• Place trees away from heat sources, including fireplaces or heat vents. The heat will dry out the tree, causing it to be more easily ignited by heat, flame or sparks.

• Keep the live tree stand filled with water at all times.

• Use only non-flammable decorations.

• Don’t link more than three light strands, unless the directions indicate it’s safe. Connect strings of lights to an extension cord before plugging the cord into the outlet.

• Avoid using lit candles. Consider using battery-operated flameless candles, which can look, smell and feel like real candles.

• Ensure that Christmas trees and other holiday decorations don’t block an exit way.

• Place a fire extinguisher near the tree for additional safety.

This story is sponsored by The Preston Citizen Bookstore.

For the full story subscribe to The Preston Citizen: in print or online.

 Powered by Max Banner Ads 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Ready Reference 2015

2015 Letters to Santa