Powered by Max Banner Ads 

 Powered by Max Banner Ads 
Upset-minded | Preston Citizen


November 13, 2012

West Side drops game after valiant battle 




POCATELLO – West Side gave Firth’s high-powered offense everything it could handle Saturday afternoon and came just short of upsetting the number-one ranked 2A team in the state in a semi-final playoff game.

The Pirates dropped the encounter 22-14 and ended up with the third-place trophy.

West Side played extremely well throughout the game and its defense held Firth in check. The Cougars had scored 62, 63 and 70 points in their previous three games.

But three things happened to the Pirates it seemingly had no control over. The first was a change at the Firth quarterback position late in the second quarter. Cougar Jake Orme was hit as he threw a pass and never returned. Firth’s leading rusher Mitch Orme took over and that created a wrinkle West Side’s defense had trouble ironing out.

The second was losing season-leading rusher Jon O’Brien to a knee injury early in the third quarter when West Side was down 8-7. He finished the night with 60 yards on 13 carries.

The third occurred in the fourth quarter as Pirate running back Coby Roholt got hit running the ball. A Firth fan yelled out he had suffered a concussion. An Idaho High School Athletic Association official took Roholt out of the game for a 10-minute stretch. Roholt returned to play after it was determined he had suffered no injury.

Head coach Tyson Moser called Roholt’s removal ridiculous. He added when Mitch Orme assumed the role of quarterback it caused West Side some real problems.

West Side’s Coby Roholt runs for yardage with a Firth defender in hot pursuit. West Side took home the state’s 2A third-place trophy after giving the Cougars all they could handle.

“Our defensive coaches had prepared for Jake all week long. We had him figured out pretty well. Our defense intercepted him twice and we were doing a good job controlling things. But when Mitch came in it changed the complexion of their offense,” said Moser.

Mitch led the Cougars to its first touchdown, just minutes into the third quarter when he threw an eight-yard strike for pay dirt. Firth went up 8-7.

The Pirates came right back and regained the lead, 14-8, when Tate Fuller scampered across the goal line on a 30-yard touchdown run on the first play of the fourth.

A dejected Kolter Howell walks off the field at Holt Arena in Pocatello on Saturday afternoon after West Side lost in the semi-finals against the top-ranked Firth Cougars 22-14.

But Firth took the lead for good when Orme scored on a 12-yard run in the fourth quarter, making it 22-14 for the Cougars. Orme completed the game with 120 yards running on 16 carries. He passed for two touchdowns and 61 yards.

West Side’s McCoy Roberts led his team with 88 yards rushing. The Pirates were held to 195 yards, while Firth finished with 236 yards.

This story is sponsored by LaMont Autmotive and Holiday Ball Fundraiser.


 Powered by Max Banner Ads 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Ready Reference 2015

2015 Letters to Santa