By ROBERT MERRILL
Franklin County Fire Marshal Scott Martin said area residents need to have working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in their homes and workshops, especially with the onset of colder weather.
And now is the time to change batteries in these units if that hasn’t already been done, he said.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless and invisible gas. Each carbon monoxide molecule is composed of a single carbon atom bonded to a single oxygen atom. Carbon monoxide results from the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels, such as natural gas, propane, wood, kerosene, gasoline, oil and charcoal, Martin explained.
“Carbon monoxide is naturally present in low levels in the air and in the home. It also can be produced by any flame or fueled device, including furnaces, fireplaces, clothes dryers, ranges and water heaters.
“Carbon monoxide detectors trigger an alarm based on an accumulation of carbon monoxide over time. The gas can harm people if they are exposed to high levels in a short period of time or to lower levels over a long period,” he said.
“We generally get a few emergency calls for carbon monoxide poisoning every year. Some are false alarms, but at least a couple are serious in nature. OSHA standards allow 50 parts per million concentration for continuous exposure for healthy adults in any eight–hour period. At 200 parts per million (ppm) slight headache, fatigue, dizziness and nausea occur after two or three hours. At 400 ppm frontal headaches occur within one to two hours, and it becomes life threatening after three hours.”
This story is sponsored by The Preston Citizen Bookstore and Beckstead Real Estate.
For the full story subscribe to The Preston Citizen: in print or online.
Powered by Max Banner Ads