Powered by Max Banner Ads 

 Powered by Max Banner Ads 
District Court puts two behind bars | Preston Citizen

District Court puts two behind bars

August 2, 2012


Assistant editor

Two area individuals on Thursday were sentenced to prison; one for aggravated battery, one for delivery of marijuana.

Judge Mitchell W. Brown, during District Court in Preston, sentenced Charles Dwayne Hayes to eight years in prison, two fixed and six indeterminate, for the crime of aggravated battery.

On Feb. 24, police were dispatched to 100 East in the vicinity of Benson Park on a report of a physical altercation. Emergency responders arrived to find an adult male who had been severely beaten and was bleeding and unconscious, according to court documents.

Injuries included a broken nose, split lip across the victim’s mouth, a gash on the victim’s head, a chipped tooth and concussion. A letter from the victim was submitted to the court detailing the physical and emotional suffering he continues to endure from this attack.

The judge found that Hayes’ actions amounted to a random, unprovoked act of violence on an innocent victim who was simply walking to his home when Hayes, who had consumed a significant amount of alcohol, beat the victim unconscious. Following the beating, Hayes fled the scene and was ultimately apprehended by Preston Police following a thorough investigation over the course of several days.

Also sentenced to prison was Shaun Wade Porter. Porter was sentenced to three years, one fixed and two indeterminate for the crime of delivery of marijuana. He was also sentenced to five years, two fixed and three indeterminate, for trafficking in marijuana. The sentences are to run concurrently.

This story is sponsored by The Preston Citizen Bookstore

For the full story subscribe to The Preston Citizen: in print or online.

 Powered by Max Banner Ads 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Ready Reference 2015

2015 Letters to Santa