By ROBERT S. MERRILL
Eight firefighters from Preston controlled a four-acre grass fire in near the Clifton Cemetery on Thursday afternoon.
The cause of the fire was sparks coming from a welder, according to Franklin County Fire Marshal Scott Martin. He said the sparks ignited grass and breezy conditions fanned the flames.
“The call came in at 2:02 p.m. and we had three brush trucks on scene. The fire was under control within 45 minutes. Some personnel stayed on location to mop up any hot spots. No structures were threatened,” he said.
“We’ve got drying grass and brush and it doesn’t take much now to get a fire started. Folks need to be extremely careful.”
Powered by Max Banner Ads