Powered by Max Banner Ads 

 Powered by Max Banner Ads 
Smoke detector warning given | Preston Citizen

Smoke detector warning given

October 18, 2013
By

By ROBERT S. MERRILL 

Assistant editor

Franklin County Fire Marshal Scott Martin said area residents need to have working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in their homes and workshops, especially with the onset of colder weather.

And now is the time to change batteries in these units if that hasn’t already been done, he said.

PAPBERBACK SALE 4X8 10-16

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless and invisible gas. Carbon monoxide results from the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels, such as natural gas, propane, wood, kerosene, gasoline, oil and charcoal, Martin explained.

“Carbon monoxide is naturally present in low levels in the air and in the home. It also can be produced by any flame or fueled device, including furnaces, fireplaces, clothes dryers, ranges and water heaters.

“Carbon monoxide detectors trigger an alarm based on an accumulation of carbon monoxide over time. The gas can harm people if they are exposed to high levels in a short period of time or to lower levels over a long period,” he said.

This story is sponsored by The Preston Citizen Bookstore.

For the full story subscribe to The Preston Citizen: in print or online.


 Powered by Max Banner Ads 
Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *