Powered by Max Banner Ads 

 Powered by Max Banner Ads 
Locals safe following DC shooting | Preston Citizen

Locals safe following DC shooting

September 17, 2013
By

 

By RODNEY D. BOAM 

Citizen editor

At least two people from Franklin County worked in a Navy yard near Washington D.C. Monday morning, where a gunman went on a deadly shooting spree and killed at least a dozen people.

The Preston Citizen was contacted via Facebook by people who said they had friends or relatives from Franklin County that were working in the area of the shootings.

FCMC -Home Care-Hospice  4X5 AD 8-7

Nelladee B. Waldron, originally from Oxford, said her husband, Kirk, has an office across the street from where the shootings occurred.

“They were in lockdown until about 6 p.m. Monday night and Kirk had to ride the metro because the parking garage where his car is, is still considered a crime scene,” she said on her Facebook post. “He is very grateful to be home.”

Waldron, a Weston native, retired from the Navy the first of the year and went back to work at the same job as a civilian. He works in the nuclear related area in a building southeast of Washington D.C.

His father, Lamonte Waldron, said he talked to him yesterday.

“He is fine. He didn’t get out of there until about 7 p.m. on Monday,” Waldron said. “We are glad he’s OK. They impounded his automobile. They told him to stay home today (Tuesday).”

Cody Lee Hodges, son of Bruce and Carol Hodges, was also working in the same area. Carol said her son stepped away from his office to get a drink when he saw a lot of commotion going on around him. He was ordered to go back to his office. Then they locked his building down, she said.

“We heard about it on the news and tried to call him, but couldn’t get through,” she said. “He finally called us late last night.

“My biggest concern was for his children… if they’d heard about the shooting on the news,” she said. “They blocked it from them at the schools, so they are fine.”

Cody has been in the Navy for 25 years and is a commander.

The FBI publicly identified the alleged gunman as Aaron Alexis, a 34-year-old, American-born male who previously served as a Navy reservist. Alexis was killed during the incident.

All of the 12 victims who were killed were civilians, according to the Navy. Fourteen others were injured, several of whom were being treated at local hospitals.

The investigation is still in its early stages and many of the facts are not being released.

For further updates see our page at facebook.com/prestoncitizen and at www.prestoncitizen.com

This story is sponsored by FCMC: Home Health and Hospice.


 Powered by Max Banner Ads 
Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *