By ROBERT S. MERRILL, Assistant editor
RIVERDALE– A early morning house fire on July 3 completely destroyed a house occupied by Lewis Munson at 1457 East 4600 No. There were no injuries.
The fire was called in to the Franklin County Sheriff’s office at 12:34 a.m. and was caused by a malfunctioning exhaust fan in the bathroom, according to Franklin County Fire District fire marshal Scott Martin..
He said 30 firefighters from both the Franklin County Fire District and Cache County responded to the blaze.
Martin said there was no water available at the scene of the fire and that is why he called Cache County to assist with six fire truck tenders and two engines through an interagency fire agreement.
“The fire started in the attic area of the house. It was a tough one to fight because there was very limited space between the ceiling and the rafters. . .only about two-feet or less,” he said. “In the attic there was polystyrene foam insulation that is flammable, plus blown-in insulation. The fire moved very fast.”
Martin estimated damage at $120,000.
“Fire crews were on scene until 6 a.m. Some local firefighters were sent back to the location later Wednesday morning to check for hotspots. The fire was contained to the structure,” said Martin.
Powered by Max Banner Ads